Hi, I'm interested in learning about redox-os with a view to contributing - but I'm a bit lost on some points:
- are things really active, seems most activity on forums and repos tailed off a few months back
- I see GitHub and GitLab repos, is one just a mirror of the other?
I started with the book, and the getting started experience with building the toolchain (libc) has been painful and a blocker on both Mac and Fedora, no luck so far.
Looks like the submodules of libc are all pinned to specific commits, and it looks like they are not being updated and there is no CI on them?
Would their be appetite for:
- getting each of those submodules into shape on Mac & Linux, so that HEAD of master builds reliably?
- I'd work to add CI to each of them, with a matrix to ensure at least the build works on a number of distros/Mac
- then updating libc to work with the latest of each, and not tie it to specific versions of submodules and of dependencies (automake, autoconf, etc)?
If that all worked, the toolchain step of the getting started would be a LOT smoother and loose fewer potential contributors at that step (I'd PR to the book to update that page also).
Let me know.