WIP: Tab completions
IMPORTANT This is sorta, kinda WIP and NOT intended to be merged as it is! The code still needs a few tweaks, and the commits are not meaningful on their own (I just committed all wip-stuff at once when I made breaks). This is more like a proposal and a basis for discussion.
Problem: This PR adds support for tab completions. See #397
Solution: The general idea: For each application, there is a user-friendly config file (RON-format) which defines different types of command line parameters, etc. Currently supported features:
- boolean flags (e.g.
- files with specific file extensions
- string (aka "everything else that takes custom values") with support for options (predefined list of possible values)
If an application has no completion-config, the default file file completer is used.
Changes introduced by this pull request:
- New dependencies: libflate, ron, serde
- A new completer (
IonCmdCompleter) was created, similar to the existing
- When the user hits tab twice and the application (first word on the command line) has a completion defined, it is examined for possible matches.
- I've added a base ("empty") config file as well as two (unfinished) configs for
- I don't know if my code structure/architecture is fine, as I figured out how liner works as I worked on this, so the code may be restructured more cleanly?
- Also, I had to add an unsafe (https://gitlab.redox-os.org/BafDyce/ion/blob/adb13743757078f021614e89a8820958ea15203e/src/lib/shell/completer.rs#L71) to satisfy the borrow checker. Don't know if this can be avoided by restructuring.
- Aliases (different names for the same application) are not handled/implemented yet.
- Tab completions don't work when using the absolute path
- For both issues we would need some efficient HashMap-like data structure to map multiple keys to the same value
Discuss whether such a config-file based solution is wanted.
mmstick seems to be OK with it!? ;)
Add support for "dynamic" parameters (list of completions generated at runtime by executing an
- Add support for "scheme" parameters
Decide where to save the config files ->
- Add hook for installation script
Adapt initialization code accordinglyImplement lazy-loading functionality
Fix issue: auto-complete does not work if the cursor is on the right edge of a completed parameter (no space is inserted afterwards)
Fixed by recent liner upgrade
- Cleanup the code, Add comments
- Rebase onto current master and fix merge conflicts
- Add a new builtin for (re)loading completions at runtime
Implement parsers to import completions:
- Improve parsing capabilities (subcommands, detect & filter invalid parsed files)
- From man-pages
- Test on Redox (currently only on Linux tested)
- Add a bunch of completion configs.
- Add completions for ion builtins
- CI: Add validation of supplied completion files (just check whether they can be parsed correctly)
- Bug fixes
Blocking/related: None that I know of.
I'm open for feedback, however I'll also be busy in the next days.
Edit 2018-06-17: Update text to match current state of MR